This website and company was set up by me, Alastair Ewen, founder of Aspen Outdoors Ltd. After a longish career in local government; in outdoor access, community development and youth work, I set up this company to pursue my passion the outdoors. I also hold a PGDE in Primary Education.
I have been climbing mountains and exploring wild places all my life and began working in the outdoors 25 years ago, up in Svalbard, leading treks in the high Arctic. Since then I have been working as a mountain leader in Scotland and overseas. Here’s some information about me:
- Skied across Svalbard in the winter, from Longyearbyen to Ny-Alesund, April 2000
- Mountain Leader Award, 2004
- Completed the Scottish munros in 2013
- Winter Mountain Leader award, 2014
- International Mountain Leader Award, 2015
- Trekking, skitouring and snowshoeing all over the place: Pyrenees, Alps, Norway, Sweden, Poland, Iceland and Svalbard
- Bushcraft Competency Certificate, 2016
- Keen hill runner, often found in the hills above Luss. See this 3 min video guide to hill running made by my running club, Bellahouston Road Runners.
I have extensive experience in running the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award. I was the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award manager for Renfrewshire, responsible for the management and development of 15 award centres across the authority. My involvement in Dofe includes Leader training and support, direct delivery, expedition supervision and assessment and the review and development of safety systems.
See my Mountain Training Association profile for more informations on my qualifications and Mountain training.