This hidden webpage provides information on Aspen Outdoors Ltd and the Bronze Duke of Edinburgh’s Award programme to be run with Cardinal Winning School.
The programme will consist of the following:
- Three outdoor training sessions on the 17th and 24th of Feb and 10th of March
- Three classroom training sessions before the practice expedition. Classroom session will be on the 17th and 24th of March and the 28th of April
- Two day practice expediton on the 3rd and 4th of May: Milngave to Killearn, camping in Mugdock Country Park
- One classroom session on the 19th of May to prepare for the final expedition
- Two day final expedition on the 30th and 31st of May: Dunkeld, Perthshire
- One classroom session on the 2nd of June to prepare for the expedition presentation
A participant pack has been prepared that provides the following useful information about the Expedition Programme:
- Information on the 20 Conditions for a Duke of Edinburgh’s Award Expedition
- Information on the Bronze Expedition Criteria
- Information for Parents
- Training Syllabus
- Kit List
- Trip information for the Practice and Final Expeditions
- Photographic Consent Form
- Training Programme
Health and Safety Polcy and Risk Assessments
Aspen Outdoors Ltd strives to operate effective safety management procedures and systems so that its participants can experience exciting and stimulating activities in safety.
The companies health and safety policy and risk assessments are available below. In respect to the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award our Activities specific operational procedures are set out on page 10. Reference should be made to our procedures for supervusion of unaccompanied groups, on page 13. Reference should also be made to the following appendixies:
- Appendix 2: Emergency procedures
- Appendix 3: Emergency procedures for unaccompanied groups of young people
- Appendix 4: Overdue procedure
- Appendix 5: Supervision Plan
- Appendix 6: Site specific risk assessment
- Appendix 8: Generic risk assessment for trekking in moorland and mountain terrain in summer
Adventure Activities Licence Regulations
The Adventure Activities Licensing Regulations 2004 requires anyone who provides, in return for payment, adventure activities to young people under 18 years to have a licence and abide by its conditions.
Aspen Outdoors Ltd is registered with The Adventure Activities Licensing Authority as a licensed provider of adventure activities because of the provision of trekking. Its provider reference number is: R2381. Our licence document can be seen by clicking on the link below.
Licence details can be confirmed by:
- Referring to the on-line Register of Licence Holders or
- Emailing the Licensing Service on email@example.com
- Calling the Licensing Service on 029 2075 5715
Duke of Edinburgh’s Award Approved Activity Provider
Aspen Outdoors Ltd is a Duke of Edinburgh’s Award Approved Activity Provider, licensed to provide the expedition section at bronze, silver and gold levels. Our licence document can be seen by clicking on the link below.
Outdoor Industry Qualifications and Memberships
Aspen Outdoors Ltd employs outdoor instructors that are competent to deliver its activities. Competence is assessed through qualifications, training and on-going assessment. The qualifications held by staff include:
- International Mountain Leader Award
- Winter Mountain Leader Award
- Mountain Leader Award
- Lowland Leader Award
- Bushcraft Competency Certificate
- First Aid
Instructors meet the continued professional development (CPD) requirements set out by the Mountain Training Association.
Alastair Ewen is also a member of the following professional bodies:
- British Association of International Mountain Leaders
- Mountain Training Association
To see Alastair’s Mountain Training Association profile click here.
Aspen Outdoors Ltd holds insurance for the activities it provides. Its insurance policy is through HISCOX Insurance Company Limited. The insurance cover includes public and products liability insurance (up to £5 million), employers liability insurance (£10 million) and professional indemnity insurance (up to £5 million). A copy of our insurance cover can can be viewed by clicking on the link below:
Aspen Outdoors Ltd is committed to creating a safe environment for children and young people and adults. The company recognizes its moral and legal duty to protect children and young people and will take all reasonable steps to promote safe practice and to protect children from harm, abuse and exploitation. The company is a registered body with Disclosure Scotland and all employees, volunteers and free-lance instructors are vetted as part of its safe recruitment practice.
A copy of the company’s child protection policy is available below.